I know there are a million different variations for mexican style rice, heck there are many versions of every recipe for that matter, lol. but as you get to me you will learn that I try to keep my ingredients between 5 and 8 so as to simplify life and allow my taste buds to taste the ingredients. Not only together as one but seperately as well. So you my darlings can call it what ever you wish, but for the sake of a nameless recipe I have decided to call it mexican style rice. :)
If you can boil or preferably steam rice then you are rockin and ahead of the game. If not then have I got a tip for you, Yes that's right, it called a timer, lol. Ok so the measurements count too, but that is easy to remember when you think of it in a specific way. Here you go, if you are dehydrated what do you need lots of? Right.... water. So when you remember 2 to 1 think dble the water of the rice and your good to go. Even better, if you double the water, you'll double your rice. What else, oh yeah bring to a boil and simmer with lid for 20 min. There is that crazy timer again. Ok I'll make it easier than all of that.
If you really want great brown rice that isn't hard or crunchy don't read the bag! Read this instead,
1 portion brown rice added to 2 portions hot water, turn down to simmer and set your timer for 25 min not 20. Yep I said it, 25 min. Test the rice on the top by tasting. If it is too crunchy check to see if there is water in the bottom of the pan. If so then add another 5 min to the timer. If not then add 1/8 of a cup of water to the rice and then add 5 min to the timer.
So now I'm really going to mess with you, tee hee,
Instead of using all water we are going to replace1/4 C of the water with 3/8 C of tomato sauce, and the other 3/4C with veggie broth. We are also going to add the spices and stir. Now steam or boil as recommended.
While your rice is cooking for the last 10 min you can grab the steamer your going to use to cook your eggplant chunks in. That's right I said eggplant. :) (remember, you may not like it one way and find you love it another. When they are done (hot) take them out and if you like a spicier dish like I do, you can add a few shakes of homemade raw vinegar pepper sauce to a bowl and coat before adding to the rice.
Yepper, that is it! Very Simple! And done in less than 30min.
Ingredients:
Brown Rice
Fresh tomato sauce 3/8 C
Veggie Broth 3/4 C
Cumin 1Tbl
Chili Powder 1tsp
Paprika 1tsp
Or you can use a mexican seasoning, but it wont taste the same, just different, :)
Eggplant 1 small
Home made Pepper Sauce with raw vinegar or not :)
It really is that easy and makes a great left over that you can use in many ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please let me know think of the recipes that you have tried.